Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Box Card with Printed Washi Tape

Hello Love My Tapes friends. Marcia here today. I have been experimenting with printing on washi tape using my computer. Think about all the free fonts available. Not just fonts, what about dingbats? No, I am not talking about a stupid person, but a type of font. 

"A dingbat is an ornament, character or spacer used in typesetting, sometimes more formally known as a printer's ornament orprinter's character. The term continues to be used in the computer industry to describe fonts that have symbols and shapes in the positions designated for alphabetical or numeric characters."

Free fonts and dingbats can be found all over the internet. You could personalize your washi tape with endless possibilities. Want to see what I discovered....

I created this word doc on my computer that combined some of my favorite fonts with some fun dingbats I found....


Print it onto glossy photo paper. (Very important so the washi tape will peel off easily.)

Layer a strip of washi tape over the top of the printed words or images. Choose washi tape with muted colors and patterns that won't be distracting.


See how some tapes were better options. The yellow easter eggs turned out best I think. The Robots with the blue stars ended up being too distracting. When you are ready to use the washi, gently peel away from the paper.


I have an inkjet printer. This technique will only work with inkjet printers. If you have a laser printer, check out this link for info How to print on washi tape at Ashbee Design. I did try printing directly onto the washi tape but the inkjet inks won't dry and will eventually smear. 

Here is what I created with my dingbat Santas (which by the way were a dead ringer for the Fancy Pants Merry Little Christmas collection!)



Don't worry, these cards fold flat for mailing. I even created a coordinating envelope.






I hope you give this technique a try.  If you like, you can download a PDF of my WashiDingbats file from here.
~Marcia

1 comment:

We love your feedback! Thank you for letting us know what you think!